Reflection 1: Be Careful Online: Not Everyone is a True "Friend”

This is my reflection for this article. Feel free to comment or write your own. You are welcome to post it as a comment. Thank you.

 Be Careful Online: Not Everyone is a True ‘Friend”
Written by: Lynne Chen
            In the article Be Careful Online: Not Everyone is a True ‘Friend’ the author points out very interesting things. I like how in paragraph 11 she gives the readers tips or offers about what not to do and what the consequences online are. Even though her facts are very true and she supports them well, I think she is overprotective. I don’t think she should be worrying about such little things that could happen. If she is going to be so paranoid I don’t think he should set up a Facebook or Twitter Account.           
            In paragraph 2 and part of paragraph 11, the author says that we shouldn’t list our date of birth just to be safe. I think talking about your birthday doesn’t really matter. So many people use Facebook and so many people have the same date of birth. Another reason you can put your birthday is because if you have other family members and friends that live far away you can know when to say Happy Birthday!                
            In this whole article the author goes on and on about how you shouldn’t talk about your life, friends, or jobs. I don’t think this is a problem if you only “friend” people that you know and like. Random people from other places won’t be able to see your account if you take safety precautions and only allow friends to see the stuff you post. You should never talk bad about someone online because it is just plain wrong. In paragraph 9 it says “One of your Twitter followers, some of whom might be strangers, may see it as an opportunity to burglarize your home.” I think it is okay to talk about your holiday plans as long as you only share the info with people you trust.            
            Even though I disagree with most of what the author says I do agree that people should be very careful about what they say or reveal online. We must be careful of cyber thieves or any other mean people. I am very surprised by the number of people who complained. I think this number will drop if we learn how to be safer online.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts