Three Men

Here is a short story I wrote, please enjoy and comment!


Three Men
Three men who were drunk and dazed,
Walked into an endless maze,
They all awoke with a fright,
And realized it was black as night,
Each looked around and suddenly they saw,
A light in the distance and they followed it with awe,
When they reached it they saw 4 doors,
That seemed to overshadow them while they were crawling on the floors.

Each door had words carved into the front,
A man stood up and started to grunt,
“One says happiness, one says money,
One says fame, and one says life for all eternity,”
The first man thought silently to himself,
“I want money, lots of wealth,
If I have money than I’m happy,
And I’ll get out and finally be free,”
So the first man stood up and opened the door that said money,
And walked inside expecting to be free,
When he walked inside a stranger gave him lots of cash,
And he took them gladly and then started to dash,
But of course there was no way out,
So the man sat down and started to pout.

The second man stood up to with his head held high,
And he said in a voice that was not at all shy,
“One says happiness, one says money,
One says fame, and one says life for all eternity,”
The second man silently thought,
“If I’m stuck here I might start to rot,
Or if I get out I will turn old,
Eternity will make my life as valuable as gold,”
So the second man went to the door that said eternity,
And pushed opened the door expecting to be freed,
He went inside and a stranger went up to him,
And started to whisper what seemed like a hymn,
The second man smiled and thought he was wise,
But then he realized,
He had no way out and he could not just die,
So he lived in misery and started to cry.

The third man who was now all alone,
Cleared his throat and started to groan,
“One says happiness, one says money,
One says fame, and one says life for all eternity,”
He thought to himself but he spoke aloud,

“Right now I am lonely as a cloud,
If I had fame so many would love me,
And I would finally be free,”
So he went to the door that said fame,
Walked right in feeling no pain,
He entered and then a stranger came,
And gave him a newspaper which the third man gladly claimed
He read the heading and his jaw dropped in awe,
While he read, “Man disappeared,” and then he realized his flaw,
He was famous but not in a good way,
And he couldn’t get out so he had to stay.

The door labeled happiness for ever stood there,
No one opening it while it hinges rusted without anyone’s care,
Not one person thought that it could hold,
The thing that would’ve made them happy while they grew old,
Can you guess what was behind the door,
That would’ve given happiness and much more?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts