Today I’ll lie down

Today I’ll lie down
Today I’ll lie down
When I’m outside in the sun so warm with
its bright rays and shine, I’ll close my eyes.
To everything I’ll turn away,
ignore the light and shut down.
I’ll refuse to be active
Or have a debate.
Today I’ll just lie down
and sleep through  everyone and everything.
To the inviting grass outside, its soft nature
of wet, calm, and comfort;
I’ll lie down on it with the front of my back
Like a gentle rain.
Lie on the bed with its inviting hug,
lie on the carpet and its fur
through the comfort of exhaustion,
lie on every feeling of fatigue.
Lie in my thoughts, the weariness
inside that wants to “sleep.”
Today I’ll be calm.
Today I’ll melt into nothing, be the petals
falling off a plant, the stem drooping down,
the stillness of leaves, the pollen that sleeps
on the flowers stigma. I’ll let my energy drain
like the water into the soil.
I’ll let my heart beat slow and be a walking turtle
on the grounds that I’ll refuse to travel.


With thanks to Ernesto Trejo

Comments

Popular Posts