Altruism Essay

Hi everyone! In high school I have recently been accepted to join Key Club. Key Club is an international club that is dedicated to helping other people. Before being able to join this club I had to do many things, one of which was writing an essay about what Altruism means to me and how it applies to me. Here is my essay, I hope you enjoy reading it and please feel free to comment. 
Altruism Essay – Chen, Lynne
Altruism is defined as the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others. Altruism is a wonderful thing because it makes the world a better place. It gives people a chance to make a change for good reasons. As doctor Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”  Altruism is so important because it makes sure that not only are you making good actions, but you are doing them for the right reasons. It encourages people to not only do good deeds but to do it for the happiness of others. It not only makes the world a better place, but it also starts to influence others and make other people start to apply altruism to their lives too.
Altruism applies to me because I love to help others. I try to help out wherever and whenever I can. I strive to use my ability to aid other people. I exercise altruism by participating in fundraisers and visiting orphanages for abandoned children. I play piano at senior centers to try and make others happy. I also give money to homeless people and donate clothes and change to people who need help. In addition I love to write so I have a blog where I sometimes like to write about helpful organizations so that I can encourage other people to donate to needy causes too.

Altruism applies to me because not only do I try to help out others, but I live in an amazing world where I know so many people who apply altruism to their lives too. I am constantly surrounded by people who do selfless actions all the time just to help others. I live in a very altruistic community where there are clubs like Key Club and other organizations that dedicate themselves to helping other people.  I believe that altruism is contagious and that one selfless action can lead to many more. 

Comments

Popular Posts