Listen to the Silence

There are many who believe that the worst mistake a person could make is not asking for help. I think the worst mistake a person could make is not giving it to those who never ask for it.

There is a myth that I’ve heard about swan songs. Supposedly, right before a mute swan passes, it sings a beautiful melody that resonates in the ears of all those close enough to hear. This however, is a myth for a reason. Mute swans are actually anything but silent. Through their entire lives, these creatures are constantly making noise, murmuring and grunting. You would think that because of this, the swan song myth would’ve never existed. But it does, because no one ever bothers to listen for anything other than what they expect to hear.

The world is full of swans like this. Swans filled with pain that are asking for help. Some do it silently and some don’t at all. Swans, who on the outside, look so perfect and at peace. Swans who mislead others, unintentionally, into thinking that everything is okay. Swans who sometimes never get the help they need so they just start pretending. I know. I was a swan.

Now, the creation of a swan is special. It’s the combination of asking for help but never receiving it. It’s the combination of being turned away each time one reaches out. It’s the combination of being left out in a group. It’s the combination of wanting to get better but losing hope. Swans are made when people who express themselves are not heard.

There was a rough patch during my life that I had to go through. I tried not to do it alone but I soon realized that though everyone can say that they’re there, not all of them truly listen. So I, started to believe it was because my voice was not worth listening to. Scared to be rejected for being weak, I decided it was better to keep to myself. So I floated away, kept my beak shut and left only ripples in the water behind me hoping that maybe someone would follow. I would rather have tricked myself into thinking others cared than say something and realize they didn’t. But, I was lucky. I had friends who did follow the trail and pick up the red flags that I had left behind. I had people who would ask me about my problems. People who guided me through my difficulties and the battle inside my head. “Hold on, things get better.” And things did. I didn’t believe it at the time but these people stood by me until I did. They stood by me until I could spread my wings and be comfortable with the tunes I sang. But not everyone is this lucky because not everyone has people who will listen.

Why a mute swan is called a mute swan, I do not know for sure. I think it’s because no one listens to the swans anyway, so they may as well be mute. People are liked that too. There’s a point where speaking makes no sense when there’s no one there to listen.

Swan song.

Too many people wait to hear this final cry for help before they notice the silent screams that have been happening all along. I believe that the worst mistake someone could make is not giving help to those who don’t ask for it. Don’t let the myth of the swan song become a reality. Listen for those silent screams.


Comments

Popular Posts