Happy Graduation To My Big Brother

Someone once said, “First a brother, then a bother, now a friend.” Merton, today you have graduated from high school and I must say that it never occurred to me that this day would arrive so soon. I don’t know how you did it, but it’s true, you’re graduating from high school. In just a few months you will be leaving home and going to college.  You will be transitioning from a senior to a freshie once again. Does that mean I can make fun of you for it since you did it to me just last year?
Merton, it’s crazy to think that since the day I was born, you have been here for me. You have been a shoulder to cry on, a friend to laugh with, and a mentor to guide me through life and all its hardships. It’s weird to say that after all our fights and silly arguments you are my best friend and always will be. I am so thankful for the 16 years of memories that you have given me since I was born. 16 years of watching you make mistakes and laughing at you. 16 years of making fun of you for all the dumb things you do. And although I could probably write an entire essay on just all these moments to tease you, I decided to do something different. Throughout these 16 years that you have been with me, you have taught me so many things. So although I often tease you, I have not often told you how much you mean to me and everything you have done for me. Merton, throughout these years I have learned so much from you.
First, I have learned the importance of being happy. As a child I was never one to really smile or laugh but seeing my older brother enjoying life and everything that came with it has guided me to becoming more positive. From you I have learned that mistakes can be a happy thing and that you shouldn’t let the little things bother you. A story that I have that reminds me of this is the time Merton tried to get eye contacts. So we all know Merton has awful vision and has been wearing glasses since he was basically a baby. But what I remember most is when he was trying to transition out of it. I remember it because Merton was trying to get eye contacts but he couldn’t fit them in his eyes since his eyes are too small. Despite us making jokes about it and teasing him, he didn’t get frustrated at all. Instead, Merton was simply like, you know what I was meant to rock glasses, so deal with it bruh. Merton, you have showed me the importance of seeing life through a filter (or lens) of just joy and happiness and this is something that I will carry with me my whole life.
Second, I have learned the importance of being true to yourself. Throughout my constant struggles of finding who I really am, you have supported me and encouraged me to be myself. Just growing up watching the way you that you are never affected by what others say has pushed me to becoming more confident as well. I have watched you grow yet stay constant to who you truly are and that’s one of these most important lessons I have learned from you.
Third, you have taught me how to be strong. I cannot even remember the last time that you have broken down in front of people or in front of me. The way that you hold yourself together and still manage to be there for others and for me in tough times makes me extremely proud to have a brother such as you. You have taught me to face my fears and to do things that I’m scared of. And although I often argue with you and get upset over you pushing me, I know that you are only trying to prepare me to be brave for all the scary things in life. That’s something I’m really going to miss while you’re in college.
Most importantly though Merton, you have taught me that I am not alone. You have taught me this through giving me rides to places when I need it or just talking through my troubles with me when I’m down. You have showed me this through your patience and constant attention. You have made it so obvious to me that when I feel sad or lonely or depressed, I will always have you to turn to no matter what. That I will always have my big brother. So although today you are reaching a major turning point in your life, I know that things will only get better for you from here. I know that from this point forward you will only become an even better, happier, and stronger person than you are now. I know that you will be okay because you are a great person. Just remember that when you ever need anything or if you are ever missing home, your little sister is here for you too. 
Congratulations!

Comments

Popular Posts