11 Years of Missing Him

There is a quote by A.A. Milne that reads, "how lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard". 11 years ago, my grandfather was taken away by cancer. He was an extremely strong and kind man who touched every person's life in which he entered. Especially mine. The love and kindness that he has given me has impacted me everyday, and I  miss him everyday. I hope that he's looking down at me and is proud of the person I am trying to become. I love him so much and I hope that he knows how much he is missed.
***
There are some people in this world, who never really leave,
The ones with bright eyes, who wear their hearts out on their sleeves,
They’re the ones who spread joy like pollen, scattered everywhere,
The ones who do nothing less than show compassion and show care,
My grandfather is my person, the one I feel around me every day,
The one who I can turn to when nothing seems okay,
I feel him in my happiness and every smile that I make,
And I know he is the glue that keeps me together when I break,
I sense him in the sonorous sounds heard in the wind and breeze,
And I miss him whenever I hear sweet, gentle melodies,
My bones and body aches for his hugs and his kind, warm words,
They ache for memories once clear, that have since been blurred,
But although some things just cannot last, I think it’ll be okay,
Because the love that he has given will forever, with me, stay,
His lessons and his stories, his fortitude, his heart,
Are things that will never leave me, no matter our distance apart,
I know that when I close my eyes, he knows I love him so,
And that just as he is here with me, I am with him wherever I may go,
It's been 11 years, and I've missed him every minute of the way,
I've missed him every hour, every second, of every day,
But I feel so blessed and lucky, that I have someone this great to miss,
Someone who has given me so much strength and so much bliss,
So I know I'll never not miss him, never not long for him to be here,
But he will never truly leave me, we will stay together year after year.

Comments

Popular Posts