Sonder

Hello friends! I'm sorry that I haven't been posting that much writing recently. I'm in my fourth week of junior year in high school and it's been crazy busy. Anyways, I learned a new word "sonder". Sonder is the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own. I though that both this definition and this word was absolutely gorgeous. I wrote this poem during the summer and submitted it into a writing competition. Today I got mail that said it's being published into an anthology! I hope you all enjoy reading it and please feel free to share or comment. Thank you so much.

Sonder is the realization that each random passerby,
has a life that is complex and filled with their own ambitions and lies.

It's peculiar how sonder works
because maybe I don't just want to be,
a random stranger that's barely a part
of someone's life story.

I wonder about the secrets
that are running through their veins,
about their happiest moments
and their nightmares and their pains.

I wonder about the stories
hidden in each person's smile,
about what they believe is beautiful
or what they believe is vile.

What ambitions does each person have
how do they see themselves,
why do some people need only love
while others thrive on wealth.

I even wonder if that guy who's staring right at me,
has sonder just as I do but about my own story. 

Comments

Popular Posts